Best Countries to Invest in a Second Citizenship
Getting dual citizenship opens the doors to many opportunities. Foreign investors tend to invest in Citizenship by Investment programs and grab that second passport. A second passport can mean many things: freedom to travel visa-free to more than a hundred countries, new business opportunities, tax benefits, stability, and more.
Citizenship refers to the national rights you’ll inherit in the second country, like the right to travel, live, work and study in a foreign country. Additionally, you’ll be required to comply with the foreign government’s rules and legislations and take responsibility for your actions.
Below we’ll talk about the best countries where you can obtain dual citizenship and enjoy the benefits that come with it. Let’s start!
Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda has an affordable Citizenship by Investment Program where you can apply in real estate, in national development funds, or establish your own business in the country.
Antigua and Barbuda is a collection of small islands, but got its name from the two main islands, Antigua and Barbuda. It’s a picture-perfect, heavenly island country between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. many investors choose this country due to the scenic views, mesmerizing beaches, and local cuisine.
Plus, let’s not forget the low living costs and the sublime white sands where you can enjoy a relaxing sunset on the beaches.
By participating in citizenship by investment programs, you become eligible to obtain a second passport and become a citizen of another country without losing your primary citizenship.
The investment options for the passport of Antigua and Barbuda include:
- $400,000 investment in real estate approved by the government
- $125,000 in the National Development Fund as a family of five, or $100,000 if you apply as a single applicant
- $1.5 to $5 million to establish a business
Aside from these investment options, there might be government and processing fees applicable at the time of your application. Government fees can be from $25,000 for a family of four or $15,000 for each dependent. While the processing fees can be from $2,000 to $7,000.
Copyright: Francesca Tirico on Unsplash I License: CC0 Public Domain
- No taxes on global personal income
- Travel visa-free to 130 countries
- You will not lose your primary citizenship
- Fast processing time of your application
St. Lucia is a Caribbean country where you can obtain your second citizenship and enjoy the beautiful sceneries that tower the volcanic peaks of the Pitons, the lush mountains, glorifying reefs, and breathtaking waterfalls. The CBI program can help you get your second passport and travel visa-free to more than 118 countries.
The investment options are:
- $300,000 in real estate approved by the government – you need to retain the property for at least 5 years
- $100,000 one-time donation to the NEF – National Economic Fund if you apply as a single applicant, and $165,000 if you are a married couple
- $500,000 investment in government bonds – the fees might differ depending on the number of applicants; for example, if you have codependents in the application process, it might cost you an additional $25,000 for each child and an additional $35,000 for your spouse
Benefits to get a passport from St. Lucia include:
- Political and economic stability – ideal for investments and business development
- You will have citizenship for a lifetime
- No taxes on personal wealth, capital gains, or inheritance
- Affordable CBI program to obtain alternative citizenship
Copyright: Levi Ventura on Unsplash I License: CC0 Public Domain
Dominica is a beautiful island in the East Caribbean region, a country thriving in tourism and agriculture. It’s famous for its tropical rainforests and natural hot springs and has become the home to many foreign investors.
The country of Dominica introduced its CBI program in 1993 and ever since has been one of the most effective ones in the Caribbean.
The investment options to obtain citizenship are:
- $100,000 as a one-time contribution to national funds
- $200,000 investment in real estate that you must own for at least 3 years
The benefits of the passport of Antigua and Barbuda are:
- A flexible and swift application process
- Lifetime citizenship
- You become a legit member of CARICOM – the Caribbean Community
- Travel visa-free to more than 118 countries
Grenada is between the Northeast of Venezuela and the northwest of Trinidad and Tobago. A beautiful, Caribbean country that allows foreigners to invest in the economy and get a second passport.
The investment options are:
- $350,000 in real estate
- $150,000 in the National Transformation Fund
The benefits of obtaining the Grenadian passport are:
- Visa-free traveling to more than 80 countries
- No taxes on worldwide income
- Fast and flexible application process
- You can retain your primary citizenship
Getting a second passport is a great plan B. But before you start the application process, ensure you have the needed information and documents. And for peace of mind, you can contact an authorized agency that can help you and guide you through the process. So, don’t wait and apply to get your second passport now!